On occasion, you need to whip out the plunger for some manual labor. Many of us might like to avoid plunging, but unfortunately, a clogged sink is a genuine concern to your plumbing system. It’s inconvenient, and often dangerous if left unattended. The eventual cost of ignoring a sink clog can be overwhelming. But if the plunger fails, you need expert drain cleaning services. First and foremost, consider prevention. They say prevention is the best form of medicine, and that saying works for plumbing systems, too!
Avoiding Bathroom Sink Clogs
The bathroom is one of the most used rooms in the modern household. If you have a large family, then everyone is fighting for time in the bathroom. You are then left with quite the mess, and a clogged bathroom sink is more common. You can avoid a serious bathroom sink clog by doing the following:
- Cleaning the drain stopper regularly. Over time, hair, soap scum, and gunk will accumulate on the stopper and slow the drainage, or clog the drain completely.
- Do not let hair flow down the drain. While it would seem this tip is just common sense, many of us completely forget in the moment. When shaving or brushing our hair, we often ignore the hair falling from our body and into the sink.
- Perform regular drain cleaning. Once per week, consider cleaning the drain and sink to reduce scum and gunk from accumulating.
- Pour hot water down the drain to reduce buildup. Hot water is known to undo stubborn drainage clogs.
Avoiding Kitchen Sink Clogs
Whether your kitchen sink has a garbage disposal or not, it’s best to take preventative measures to avoid kitchen sink clogs. It’s easy to toss food scraps and other junk down the kitchen sink drain, but try to avoid doing so. Also:
- If you do not have a garbage disposal, avoid putting food scraps down the drain. Even with a disposal, you should only put small scraps into the unit.
- Do not pour grease or oil into the kitchen sink drain. Grease can accumulate and stick to the inside of the pipes, leading to a severe clog.
- On occasion, pour hot water down the kitchen sink to melt small deposits of fat or grease. Pour the water slowly to avoid splash-back.
Drain Cleaning Benefits
If you’re uncomfortable cleaning your drainage system or wish to avoid harmful chemical drain cleaners, consider scheduling professional drain cleaning services. The benefits are profound!
- Reduced Blockages – Occasional drain cleaning services can significantly reduce the risk of blockages or clogs.
- Prevent Slow Drainage – A slow drain is a sign of a blockage or leak. Plus, slow drainage can promote mold growth and spread bad odors.
- Reduced Odors – Speaking of odors, drain cleaning helps rid your plumbing system and home of unpleasant smells stemming from the drain.
Today is the day to schedule professional drain cleaning services from Raymark Plumbing. Call us anytime at 206-440-9077 . We’ll send a licensed, certified plumbing expert straight to your doorstep this week!